Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The little man has had a stomach flu hit him. Aside from the odd cold, it's really the first time he's ever been sick. Today he stayed home from his dayhome and pretty much spent a quiet day on the couch, with Grandma watching him while I was at a meeting, and then lazing around on his own when I was back and working.

At 3:15 each day, I pop out for a quick walk to the bus stop to pick up Mia. Although the vomitting and diarrhea seemed to have stopped, I really didn't want to drag him along for the 5 minutes I'd be out. And he isn't the kind of kid that gets into things or gets himself into dangerous situations. So I thought maybe I could just leave him for a couple of minutes.

Me: Will, I gotta pop out for just a couple of minutes to pick Mia up at the bus stop. I thought maybe you'd be ok here by yourself watching tv. I'll be back in a flash. Do you think you'd be ok for just a couple minutes?
Will: Yeah.

Me: Ok, but listen...you don't go outside while I'm gone, right? Not even in the backyard. Ok? You just stay on the couch unless you have to go to the bathroom. Understand?
Will: Ok. I'll just stay here and watch tv.

Me: And also, if anyone comes to the door, you don't open it. OK? Do you understand?
Will: I can open the door if the doorbell rings!

Me: What? No. You don't open the door. Not if the doorbell rings and not if someone knocks. You just don't answer the door. Got it?
Will: Why not?

Me: Well, what if it's a bad guy? You wouldn't want to let them in, would you? So just don't open the door.
Will: Yeah, I don't want to let a bad guy in our house.

Me: Exactly.
Will: Yeah. I'll only open the door if a good guy rings the bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment