Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Paradox that is Will


Recently Will came up to me, gave me a big hug, and said "Mama, some people are worth melting for."

Me: Huh?...
Will: You know, Olaf said that in Frozen.


Me: You know Olaf was a snowman and if he melts he dies. So he's saying someone he loves is worth dying for.
Will: I know. Mama, you're worth melting for.

And then *I* melted...

Until a couple of days ago when we heard a Canadian Blood Services ad on the radio looking for blood donors. I used to donate, but now I'm ineligible; I believe people should give if they can.

Me: Will, I hope when you're older you'll consider donating blood. There are lots of sick and injured people who could use it. They don't take very much and your body makes more.
Will: I don't think so. It sounds scary.

Me: Well, it wouldn't be until you're an adult. It really doesn't hurt. And they don't take very much. Your body wouldn't even miss it.
Will: No.

Me: What if *I* was dying and needed blood. Would you give me just a bit?
Will: No.

Me: What?! You wouldn't give me just a bit?? I might die.
Will: There are other people around who can give blood.

Me (crossing slightly over to crazy): Ok. What if we were on a spaceship? And there was only you and me? Would you give me blood then?
Will: I don't think so.

Me: What if I was the only one who knew how to fly the spaceship? If I died, the spaceship would crash and you'd die too, you know. You'd really be saving yourself.
Will: Still no.

WTH?

No comments:

Post a Comment